Friday, October 22, 2010

First Dentist Appointment

Today was my first dentist appointment...yep, that's right MY first dentist appointment. I am 31 years old and have never been to the dentist. I had braces from 8th grade to 10th grade, but since that was an orthodontist, I don't really count that as actually going to the dentist.

I went today because my wisdom teeth are trying to come in and are causing some problems. The good news is that I don't have any cavities!! The bad news is that I have to get all four wisdom teeth taken out...even the one that hasn't come in yet.

I have heard lots of bad stories about the surgery that is involved with getting the wisdom teeth taken out and the amount of pain you are in afterwards. I am getting scared. My worst fear at the moment is that I won't wake up after they put me to sleep for the surgery. I have also been told that I will have to take off at least 3 days of work because I will probably spend at least the first 2 days in bed.

I am calling the surgeon on Monday to set up a consultation. I need to get them out before Thanksgiving so that I can enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner!

7 comments:

  1. :) Try to stay calm. Everything will be fine. My brother was just put under for his appendectomy. The doctors told him there would be a time when he would be conscious with the respirator, but that he wouldn't remember it. And he didn't. And I was awake when they removed my wisdom teeth. I guess I'm just trying to say that what you are going to do is very common and there's no reason to get worked up about it. You will be fine. Hopefully, you will have someone there to help with the kids so that you can just enjoy your rest. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we're in the same boat. The dentist told me I have to get all 4 of my teeth out too. They may no have to put you under though. Chris had 2 of his taken out last year and they just numbed him for it. That' what I'm hoping for...I don't want to be put under either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe this is your first trip & you don't have a single cavity. I am the cavity queen! I had my wisdom teeth removed at 19 & all four were impacted. I took pain meds for the 1st couple of days & don't remember much. I was really swollen though. Take care. Wish you were in our area so I could help take care of you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, that really stinks! Maybe you can catch up on some sleep? I say take a week off work and milk it for all you got!
    Isn't it funny too when you go and the dentist is expecting a mouth completely rotted and is really surprised there's no cavities- haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of the reassurances! Jessie and Stella, I have an appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday so I will definitely ask about using a local anesthetic versus being put to sleep! Thanks, Tammy, I wish we lived closer too!! I'm going to schedule the surgery for whenever Andy will be home to help me with the girls. LOL Corrie...I know, I was completely honest about the fact that I had never been and never floss so I think they were surprised. The only good things I can see about this are the time off work and the weight loss that I'm hoping to get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my wisdom teeth out - they put me out and I woke up crying but I don't remember 3 days of recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, no, Brandy, that's what I'm afraid of...I saw the surgeon and will post an update as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete