
That afternoon, we heard the tornado siren going off. I turned on the TV while the girls got their shoes on just in case we got struck. They put all the couch pillows and blankets into the bathtub and climbed in. They were really scared, crying, and telling me that they didn't want to die. I tried to calm them down as I made popcorn and brought it to the bathtub to eat while we waited. That helped calm them down a bit. Eliana still refused to take the blanket off of her head even though I kept telling her that the storm hadn't gotten to us yet. The siren finally stopped about 15 minutes later. and I got out my laptop to watch the news since the satellite was out. Once everything was past, we found out that three tornadoes had been spotted in our town. Two of them hit right around us, one a couple of minutes from our subdivision to the west and one a couple of minutes to the east. There was a neighborhood about 10 minutes from us that got hit really hard. There were whole second stories ripped off of the houses there. If we ever build our own house, I am going to be sure there is a tornado room nearby, like a cellar with electricity and fully stocked with food. I'm very thankful that we were safe and Andy made it home safely also.
Since our free summer membership runs out next week and Andy's mom is visiting us, we decided to go to the planetarium today. The girls have never been before and I haven't been since college. It was really neat and I think they enjoyed being able to see all of the constellations. Maybe we will go back again sometime. I would like to see if they have a laser show also.
So we have been busy the last couple of days and next week will be just as busy preparing Emily for the start of school. The summer has just flown by!

tornados? that's nuts. good job keeping them calm and glad everyone is ok
ReplyDelete